MAS Bay Area Solidarity
with the Black Community
Internally, we commit ourselves to thinking through an organizational structure and culture that will allow us to be more open and accessible for Black Muslim members, and move away from the culture that sees erases and alienates Black Muslims. Locally, we commit ourselves to building, sustaining, and cherishing relationships with Black organizations, causes, and mosques in the Bay Area.
Calls to Action
- Call Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison at 651.296.3353 or 800.657.3787 (outside the twin cities); 800.627.3529 (Minnesota Relay) demanding that all the officers involved in the murder of George Floyd be held accountable, immediately charged and investigated. Sample call: “My name is ___ and I am demanding that all officers on site in the murder of George Floyd be held accountable. They must be immediately arrested, charged, and investigated for murder.”
- Each organization, center and institution must issue a public statement of solidarity with our Black communities as was requested by Black Muslim leaders.
- On June 5th, every sermon and speech should be dedicated to addressing police brutality, anti-Blackness, and racism.
- Muslim organizations, institutions and centers must commit to addressing anti-Blackness internally in their organizations through training, education, dialogue, and a firm commitment to accountability. There must also be an external commitment to work with Black communities in their local cities & regions as allies.
- Join local efforts to uplift justice and equity for the Black community, including calls to action, protests. History is being made and we must not sit on the sidelines.
- Donate to support efforts on the ground in Minneapolis and other cities protesting against police brutality, as well as to Black communities:
- Minnesota Freedom Fund – Bail support for protesters that have been arrested in Minneapolis
- Black Visions Collective – Black-led organization in Minneapolis organizing to uplift and support the Black community and transformative justice
- Masjid An-Nur – A mosque in Minneapolis collecting Zakat or Sadaqah to support its financially struggling members
- People’s Breakfast Oakland – Black-led grassroots organization in Oakland currently supporting bail for protesters, that also serves the Oakland community, particularly through its free breakfast program.